Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Marine Area 9 - Opens Saturday January 16TH

Marine Area 9 opens this Saturday for salmon angling and will remain open through April 30Th. This is without a doubt one of the better areas to fish here in Puget Sound. Hopefully, we should see some fairly good blackmouth fishing when it opens. With a 6:27AM High Tide of 12.0 feet, then ebbing out to 12:08PM of 6.7 feet and then flooding to 4:51PM to 9.9 feet my choice would be to go to Mid Channel Bank (Port Townsend) for the morning outgoing tide. My second choice would be to fish the outgoing tide on the Scatchet Head side of the Possession Bar also on the morning outgoing tide. My third choice would be fishing the morning outgoing tide at Point No Point. If I were unable to fish the morning tide I would fish the end of the afternoon flood tide from around two until dark and would fish the eastern side of the Possession Bar and focus my attention on the southern side of the Horseshoe or I would fish the Kitsap side of the Sound and fish the area from just north of Apple Tree Point down to just north of the Kingston ferry slip.

No matter what your fishing location I would focus your attention on the 90 - 150 foot depth zone and be fishing my offerings within 10 feet of the bottom in any of these areas.

I will give you a little rundown on some of my choices of offerings tomorrow!